What is PhpStorm?
PhpStorm is an innovative, Java-based integrated development environment (IDE) engineered by JetBrains for PHP and web developers. It supports PHP 5.3 and above versions.PhpStorm is built on the IntelliJ IDEA platform, which is written in Java.
PHP Storm Features:
- Many PHP frameworks are supported
- Intelligent coding assistance
- Support for Databases
- Git and GitHub Integration
System requirements for PHPStorm:
- 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 10 or 8 for Windows version
- macOS 10.13 or higher for Mac version
- 2 GB of RAM minimum, however, 8 GB is recommended
- 5 GB of hard disk space
How to install PHPStorm
Now that we know the system requirements for installing PhpStorm, let us show how to install it.
- Download the latest version of JetBrains PhpStorm from the following link: https://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/download/
- Run the installer and follow the wizard steps.
- On the Installation Options step, you can configure the following:
- Create a desktop shortcut for launching PhpStorm.
- Add the directory with PhpStorm command-line launchers to the PATH environment variable to be able to run them from any working directory in the Command Prompt.
- Associate specific file extensions with PhpStorm to open them with a double-click.
Run PhpStorm for the first time
To run PhpStorm, find it in the Windows Start menu or use the desktop shortcut.For information about running PhpStorm from the command line, see Command-line interface.
Customize the IDE appearance
Click Customize and select another color theme or select the Sync with OS checkbox to use your system default theme.
Configure the default settings
Click All settings to open the settings dialog. The settings that you modify at this moment will become the new default configuration for your projects and the IDE.
Creating a Project in PhpStorm
All of your work in PhpStorm will happen within a project. Now, we’ll look at how to create a new empty project.
- Launch PHPStorm.If the Welcome screen opens, click New Project. Otherwise, from the main menu, select File – New – Project.
- Name the new project and change its location if necessary
- Click Create.